Saturday, January 26, 2008

caterwaul

intransitive verb: 1. To make a harsh cry. 2. To have a noisy argument.

well, the word of the day pretty much sums up my week. see what expanding your vocab can do for you?

here is how i would have liked today to go:
wake up leisurely at 9am, stroll into the kitchen and make some delicious coffee. bring it back to bed, read my book until 10, when i get ready for the day and head to the flea market with some friends. from there, off to look at fantastic new apartment in the village, which i can actually afford! sign lease on the spot and motor off to fido's, where i enjoy some (more) coffee and journal for a while. when i have sufficiently permeated all of my belongings with the unmistakable aroma of coffee beans, stroll to used bookstore where i find extremely loud and incredibly close and bird by bird by anne lamott. then, head home, call adrian, and crawl into bed, watching a movie until i can't keep my eyes open. ahh...saturday.



here is how today actually went:
woke up around 6am to the most unique bird call I think I've ever heard in the entire state of tennessee. and it wasn't one of those nice bird calls that you would want to immortalize on a QVC wall clock. it was damned annoying. i remember it being incorporated into my dream, and then being fairly ticked off when i opened my eyes to discover that the creature actually existed. and it existed right outside my window. from there, i woke up several more times...at 7, to the dogs running around outside barking, at 8 to...something..., and then at 9 to a text message from ashley saying she wasn't going to make it to the flea market because it was cold out. fair enough. i can't hold a grudge against a woman who doesn't want to walk around in the cold for 2 hours. additionally, when i woke up, the massive pounding in my head had returned from a mini-holiday it took, after i fired it yesterday for slowing down work productivity. payback is a bitch, i guess.

after peeling my bowling ball off my pillow, i walked zombie-style into the kitchen to find that someone had used the last of my good coffee, and i was left with...maxwell house. LITE. 50% less caffeine. are you serious? that shouldn't even be allowed. but, desperate as i was, i made a pot, brought it back to my room, and read my book. that was a plus. with the extra few hours i had, i also made some wise time-spending choices that included craigslist, online poker where i achieved "big dog" status, and mindlessly watching my dashboard jesus widgit bounce back and forth, praying to him that he could slow down for one second and ease the pain in my temples.

when it was finally time to go see my prospective apartment, i walked out to my car to discover not one, but TWO nearly flat tires. on the side of my car that is supposed to have new tires. sweet. luckily the car was still drivable, but with each passing mile, i felt a small burning in my pocket as i thought of the money i was setting myself up to spend on easily avoidable repairs.

i don't even want to talk about the apartment. i guess there's a reason i could afford it. that reason is nasty carpet. or maybe it's footprints on the door like someone was breaking it down.

from there, off i went to firestone tire, where they told me that my car could not be fixed until at least tomorrow. but in the mean time, i probably shouldn't drive it. awesome.

i stopped at the used bookstore on my way home, since it only took an extra six inches of driving. i didn't think that was out of line with what the tire guru advised, and i needed something to cheer me up. i wandered around for a bit in the store, but apparently standing upright for a long while was not what my sinuses had in mind. so we left. somehow i managed to still spend money while i was in there. i may as well blame my sinuses for that too.

the next 4 hours consisted of...*sigh* america's next top model. i'm so ashamed. but i have a headache. give me a break.

and now it's 9:30pm. i still have a massive headache that is literally making me cry. i'm in bed, and i have a movie, but not the stamina to watch it. i'm hungry, but don't have the stamina to cook. and i haven't talked to adrian. because i don't have the stamina to listen to him talk to his friends while he's on the phone with me. that's a whole other story, though.

ahh...saturday.

No comments: